Sunday, October 30, 2011

Zombie Girl Shambling: A Visit With Rhiannon Frater Author of The First Days





1. How did you decide to write about zombies?

I never set out to write about zombies.  I enjoyed the genre, but I had no intention of writing a zombie tale.  I was at work one day when I saw a vivid image in my head of a woman standing on the porch of her house staring down at the bottom of the front door.  She was trembling and in shock and then I saw what she was staring at.  It was the tiny fingers of her zombified toddler pressed under the front door trying to reach her.  It was such a shocking image that I ended up writing what I considered a short story (at that time) and posted it online.  The reaction was positive from the readers and that short story evolved into an online serial.  I suppose the story chose me.

2. What is your favorite Halloween memory?

My wedding day in 2007.  It was such a beautiful fall day in the Texas Hill Country and I was so excited to marry the man I love on my favorite holiday.

3. Do you have a favorite zombie movie?

It’s definitely Night of the Living Dead followed closely by the original Dawn of the Dead.

4. If you had a soundtrack for your books, what would it be?

They all have different soundtracks.  AS THE WORLD DIES was a lot of Rob Zombie, PJ Harvey, and Johnny Cash.  For THE TALE OF THE VAMPIRE BRIDE I listened to the soundtrack to Bram Stoker’s Dracula.  It really depends on the atmosphere I need for the novel.

5. When is the next book coming out?

THE VENGEANCE OF THE VAMPIRE BRIDE is going to be out by the end of September.  It’s the second book of the Vampire Bride series.  I love writing gothic horror.  It’s both gruesome and beautiful.
FIGHTING TO SURVIVE, the second book in the AS THE WORLD DIES series comes out on November 8, 2011.

6. Your books started on a blog? Tell us how that happened.

Honestly, by accident.  I posted the original short story “Tiny Fingers” and it blew up from there.  I never dreamed I would end up self publishing the books and then have them picked up by Tor for reissue. 

7. How do you structure your books? Outlines? By the seat of your pants?

I write what I see on the movie screen in my head.  My novels come to me often in dreams or in flashes of inspiration. I just pay attention to what I see and hear and translate that into a narrative.  After I write the first draft, I go through the novel to make sure that the story is cohesive.  I am told that I write cinematically and that is probably because I see the stories so vividly in my mind when I write.

8. What is next after zombies? 

I have at least one zombie book left in me and it’s a futuristic one I have already started working on.  But I have other monsters lurking in my mind, some traditional, some of my own warped mind’s creation.  Though I love the zombie genre, I define myself as a horror writer and I have a myriad of different stories waiting to be born.

9. If you were in a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be?

A light saber. 

10. How do you feel about Twinkees?

Honestly, they gross me out.  *shivers*

Ha! I totally agree about the Twinkees! That was a great interview Rhiannon! Thanks for spending time with us here at Zombie Girl Shambling!





Now for the giveaway!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!