Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mind Sweeper


My Paranormal Writing Path
Thank you for inviting me to your blog today. I thought it would be fun to tell you about what has influenced me along my paranormal writing path.
I decided to start writing seriously about 5 years ago. I had dabbled in writing mysteries over the years, but had never really found my niche. The funny thing is, I have always been a prime candidate for writing paranormal. I grew up watching sci-fi and was addicted to shows that straddled into the paranormal, like the X-Files. And then the paranormal Holy Grail hit TV. In the form of a sarcastic and angsty teenage vampire slayer named Buffy and the floodgates opened for supernatural stories everywhere. And I was officially hooked.
But even then I had not been clued into my paranormal writing destiny. So I sat on my couch and watched, Fringe and Supernatural and Lost and Heroes and anything else you can think of that smacked even the least bit of ‘other’. I often re-wrote episodes in my head of my shows that I didn’t particularly care for!
And even though I was filling my VCR, then DVD, then DVR with shows, I had not really started to read paranormal. The only exception to that was Harry Potter. I was addicted to the bespectacled warlock and his band of friends. I stood in line at midnight to buy the last Harry Potter book and finished it the next day in a thirteen-hour-marathon read-fest. Which looking back was not too smart since I had to wait for all of my other friends to finish it before I could talk about it! Ugghh.
So what finally tipped the scales for me? I went to the library and picked up a book about a vampire. A vampire who was scarred both internally and externally. A vampire named Z who was in love with Bella whom he saved from evil things that I came to know as Lessers. And as I devoured JR Ward’s book the light went off in my head.
I want to write this.
Then I went back to the library and got out the other five Black Dagger Brotherhood books available at that time and fell in the love with the incredibly alpha, incredibly damaged characters and the females (and males) that loved them. And now I count the days until the latest installment appear in the spring.
My next influence? Sherrilyn Kenyon. Dark Hunters! And wonderful mythology and world building. Wow. And I read others…well, I could fill this post with just the names of wonderful paranormal and urban fantasy writers. And the voices got louder in my head.
I want to write this.
So I started down the path of writing - seriously. But I had to be careful to forge my own path and let my voice come through my words. And so here I am. My debut novel, Mind Sweeper, released on September 15th. It is book one in my Mind Sweeper series. Book two, The Fledgling, is a novella releasing on October 13th.  
And I am pinching myself as I write this to see if I’m dreaming. Because if I am, I don’t want to wake up!




 2013 RWA Golden Heart® Winner, Mind Sweeper

An angel, a demon and a vampire walk into a bar. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, but it's just another day in the life of Kyle McKinley.

Kyle was born with the ability to erase memories, and the inability to keep her opinions to herself. She and her teammates – a vampire who looks like a sexy pirate with fangs, and a Shamat demon with a penchant for Italian pastries – provide supernatural damage control when humans see too much. Today’s problem? A sword-wielding angel and a demon had a supernatural smackdown during happy hour in a Cleveland bar, leaving behind a headless vampire and a dozen human witnesses.

This latest supernatural slip-up is attracting all kinds of attention. So much attention that the police step in, and Kyle has to deal with Joe Dalton, a know-it-all human with the sexiest turquoise eyes she has ever seen. Kyle has no room in her life for yet another human who will treat her like a freak. However, Dalton definitely makes her naughty parts sit up and take notice, and it’s more than mutual. But before they can act on their attraction, they must join forces to solve a dangerous puzzle. And when they uncover the truth, the apocalyptic ripple effect forces Kyle to make a choice. Learn to trust again, or risk losing everyone she cares about, including Dalton.

Mind Sweeper is Book One in the Mind Sweeper Series.
Book Two - The Fledgling, A Mind Sweeper Novella (coming October 2014)
Book Three - Shifter Wars, (coming Fall 2014)



Twitter:  @aejonesauthor








AE Jones

Growing up a TV junkie, award winning author AE Jones oftentimes rewrote endings of episodes in her head when she didn’t like the outcome. She immersed herself in sci-fi and soap operas. But when Buffy hit the little screen she knew her true love was paranormal. Now she spends her nights weaving stories about all variation of supernatural—their angst and their humor. After all life is about both…whether you sport fangs or not.

AE lives in Ohio with her eclectic family and friends who in no way resembles any characters in her books. Honest. Now her two cats are another story altogether.

13 comments:

  1. Nice post, Amy. Can't say the same about the zombie children adorning the page, tho...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, AE!

    You've listed some of my favorite authors as well. Only now you are up there with them. Cannot wait for The Fledgling!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to talk books (and TV shows) someday! Your list is so close to mine. I grew up watching B Sci Fi movies with my Dad on Saturdays - The Blob, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla ... good memories, good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - I loved those old movies! And repeats of lost in space...we definitely need to talk ;)

      Delete
  4. So that's how you got started!! I have never seen Buffy--maybe I'm due for a Netflix marathon??? Can't wait for your new release on the 13th! Congratulations, AE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda - thanks! And yes, you definitely need to check out Buffy, it is worth the effort!!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh AE - you mentioned a lot of my favorite TV shows - and why do they all get canceled. I liked FlashForward too. Can't wait to get THe Fledgling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - yep, the good ones always get yanked away from us too soon! Hope you like The Fledgling!
      AE

      Delete
  6. Loved hearing about what sparked your creative genre genius, AE! I remember feeling EXACTLY that way when I discovered YA. It's like coming home, isn't it? Oh the tingles!!!

    Speaking of tingles…can't wait for The Fledgling's arrival on my kindle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darcy - thanks for reading and telling me about the tingles...there is something to be said for them!

      Delete
  7. Loved reading about your journey to writing, Amy! I also love your voice in Mindsweeper and am looking forward to The Fledgling. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I'm glad you like my voice. You don't have much time to wait...

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!