Thursday, November 11, 2010

Zombies vs. Unicorns

 The eternal question: Zombies vs. Unicorns. Which side is better?

 If you haven't read Zombies vs. Unicorns then you are totally missing out. You can guess which side I'm on. To be fair, the unicorns have some pretty good stories in there too, but since I am a zombie, well...The snarky comments made by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier at the introduction to each story are worth reading just on their own.

My favorite unicorn story has to be by Diana Peterfreund. I love anything she writes. Her The Care and Keeping of Your Baby Killer Unicorn kept me on the edge of my seat. Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot was another. My least favorite was A Thousand Flowers  by Margo Lanagan. I kind of agree with Justine that this story is just plain gross. I would skip it if I were you.

 The coolest zombie story had to be Children of the Revolution by Maureen Johnson. I loved the little zombie kids. Very original. Carrie Ryan doesn't dissapoint either with Bougainvillea. A nice revisit to the land of the Mudo.

That's all I'm going to say. If I keep going, I will spoil what surprises the authors have in store for you. Please comment and let me know what you think. Zombies vs. Unicorns is not for the faint of heart, and it pretty much isn't for kids, but for the rest of us, happy reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dana! Just wanted to say fanks for stopping by my blog! I'm always happy to see another zombie join the horde, especially one with a blog as cute and blood-splattered as yours! You have to tell me where you got the little shambling zombie from. He is so cute!

    I read ZvsU. The zombie stories were definitely the best, though I skipped Love Will Kill Us All, or whatever it was called. Too... well, it wasn't YA, that for certain.
    My favorite zombie stories were Bouganvillea and Children of the Revolution, and my favorite unicorn stories (yes, I read afew of them) were Princess Prettypants and the one about the creepy unicorn that couldn't die. He was like a sparkly psychopath!
    I didn't read A Thousand Flowers because the write up was just too bizarre. Well, I did read the beginning, where he was looking for a place to pee; that was pretty funny. But then a weird shiny horse showed up and I saw that things were going down hill in a quick manner, so I skipped the rest.
    You really have to be careful with short story collections, especially ones that claim to be YA, because for some reason, authors seem to just let themselves go and write whatever no matter what the age range is supposed to be. There were a few stories in there that I felt more mature than they ought to have been.

    But anyway! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!