Sunday, February 22, 2015

Grimm Mistresses: Stacey Turner


Today is our last visit with the ladies who haunt the Grimm...We have with us Stacey Turner.

1.      What inspired your story?
My son, who has autism, had pneumonia once and he was sleeping in our bed so I could keep a close eye on him. He was running a pretty good fever and was putting off so much heat that I was actually sweating, and the air was super close in the bedroom. So I got up and cracked the window (it was spring) and as I lay there half dosing, the breeze blew against my leg and I could hear the wind chimes on the porch. For some reason I thought of the story of “The Pied Piper” and “The Night Air” was born. There’s a scene in the story very similar to what actually happened.

2. As a woman in horror, do you find any added pressure?
As an author, no. I did somewhat as a publisher, but that’s a story for another day. I feel the same pressure I would feel in any genre, writing is a competitive sport. There are so many people writing, submitting, and publishing that you really have to bring it. I think there is some discrepancy in the horror industry, but it seems to me that women are definitely gaining ground. It all just spurs me to do my best.
3. Name three things on your desk right now.
I have a zombie doorstop my good friend Shellee gave me that sits on my desk. His name is Bob. Lots of post it notes, I can’t live without them. Lip gloss. Because, well, who wants their lips lacking in sheen?

4. Who are some writers that have influenced your work?
I don’t know that I can credit anyone with having influenced my work. I read a ton, always have. I was that girl walking around with the big book in her arms. And I read far more than just horror. I love historical fiction, horror, medical thrillers, and some contemporary fiction. For horror I love King and early Koontz. But also John Saul, Bentley Little, Michaelbrent Collings, Shirley Jackson. But I also love Wendy Webb, Susanna Kearsley, Barbara Erskine, Jeanne Kalogridis, Jane Austen, and Elizabeth Berg.

5. Tell us what your future plans are? Any novels in the works?
Future plans are mainly to keep writing. Sell some more stories. I am working on a novel, and another novella or two, but they are nowhere near the stage where they’d even be submitted yet. My goal for 2015 is to finish the novel.

6. If I were your favorite dessert what would I be?
White chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Definitely. Or coconut gelato.

7. What would you tell writers new to the horror genre?
I don’t think I’d tell them anything different than I’d tell any new writer. Read a lot. Learn to show and not tell (editor pet peeve), don’t let rejection make you stop writing. Don’t ever stop trying to learn more about your craft.

8. Plotter or pantster?
Planster? I’m kind of a mix. I don’t do outlines, but I usually know the end, or where I want the story to end up, when I write the beginning. I tend to write in “scenes” and then have to link them together. So I often only write one scene a day and spend the time in between focusing on the next scene, so that by the time I sit down to write it, I have the whole thing pictured in my head. But things often change as I’m writing; the characters may take over and send the story in a different direction, or on a detour. My non writer friends think that’s odd. But seriously, sometimes I’m even surprised. I once wrote a scene where a character tells another about the mother of a girl she once dated. I had no idea she was a lesbian until I wrote that. But it totally fit so there you go.


Excerpt:

The Night Air
“I found something weird in the woods today.” Marla climbed into bed beside Nick, still rubbing lotion on her hands. He glanced up from his laptop.
“Hmm?”
“I took the kids for a walk and we found a bunch of old tombstones.”
“Well, that’s hardly strange. Lots of families had burial plots on their land in the old days.” He gazed back at the screen.
“Stop.” She reached over and flipped the computer closed. “I’m a little freaked out here. Would you just listen for a minute? You got home late and now you’re still working and I need you to focus on me for like five minutes. Can I get a few moments here?”
“I’m sorry.” Nick reached out and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. “I realize it’s tough on you being out here all alone and I’m working some really long hours. The current situation shouldn’t last forever, maybe a few more weeks while I get the office set up. Promise.”
Marla sighed. “It’s fine. Lisa comes everyday so I can work; I’ll survive. I just, I don’t even understand why I’m still thinking about this. But these old gravestones were ‘hidden’ as Tommy said. And they were all children, and all from the same years. The oldest ones were written in German.”
“That’s kind of cool.”
“Might have been if I hadn’t been standing amidst the graves of children. I found it … I don’t know … eerie.”
“I can see that. But they probably had an outbreak of disease or something. Bouts of cholera or influenza used to wipe out whole towns.”
“Only the children?”
“Polio or Measles would have taken the children back then.”
Marla shrugged. “I guess so. Still creeps me out. Maybe I’ll go into Hubble, check the town records tomorrow.”
“Can I go back to working now?’
“Ugh!” Marla slapped him playfully. “Yes, please do.” She snuggled down into the covers with her back to Nick. His words made sense but unease still knotted her stomach.



BIO:
Stacey Turner lives in West Central Illinois.  Three wonderful, adult children call her “Mom,” and two beautiful little boys call her “Mimi” (Grandma). She is owned by cats. She spends her days writing and editing, but still finds time to review books & interview authors, as well as blog about her absolutely ridiculous family and other adventures.  You can find her Author blog at www.staceyturner-authorspot.blogspot.com or follow her on twitter: @Spot_Speaks or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorStaceyTurner. Her Amazon Author page is found at: http://www.amazon.com/Stacey-Turner/e/B006FKXH6I/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_7?qid=1423092989&sr=8-7
To contact her about editing, you can email her at princess.spot@gmail.com.
She enjoys editing because she’s bossy. And also because she revels in helping an author polish their work. She has edited several anthologies, including the upcoming No Place like Home: Tales from a Fractured Future and the more recent Fairly Wicked Tales, as well as many novels & novellas for a variety of authors.
She has been published in several anthologies and online magazines. When not working, she enjoys photographing cemeteries, playing “what if,” and discussing the imminent zombie apocalypse. She does not enjoy scarecrows, creepy dolls, birds (of any sort), snakes, clowns, or garden gnomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!