Friday, August 19, 2011

Working Stiff by Rachel Caine


A brand new adventure from the award-winning, New York Times and USA Today bestselling Rachel Caine, author of the Morganville Vampires and Weather Warden series ...

Bryn Davis is new on the job as a funeral director, but even she knows that once you’re dead, you ought to stay that way. But Fairview Mortuary has a hidden backroom business: reviving the dead for profit, at extortionate rates.

Finding out may cost Bryn more than her life ... it may just take away her death, too.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS "Dead Sexy".

Goodreads

What I liked:

Bryn is a strong character and I liked her clear headed mannerisms. Having her be someone who has just pulled a stint in the military was an interesting change and having her go into the funeral business was even more intriguing. On her first day, Bryn encounters all kinds of things at the mortuary. As someone who at one time considered this line of work, it is interesting to see what a typical day at a funeral home might consist of. The handling of clients, dealing with the body to make it viewable...lots of things to ponder. Caine does a great job at setting the scene and making you feel all the emotions that Bryn goes through while trying her best to succeed at her new job and help the clients in the best way she can.

The story was not what I was expecting. I liked the action (no spoilers guys, sorry) and the strong characters.

What I Didn't:

I was looking for a zombie book when I found this one and am still not so sure I got one. There were no brain munching moments, but there was some pretty horrific stuff in there that may make me like this series after all.

Overall:

Not being what I expected, I did like Bryn and her strength of character in a situation that could best be described as a waking nightmare.  The action and adventure of a spy thriller with the world at risk from a new drug that potentially can make everyone an undead addict was quite a new concept and I will be standing in line to download the next book in this series as soon as I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!